Thursday, September 11, 2008

Taj Mahal, Agra, India

Hello. Thanks for visiting.

This edition is dedicated to the Taj Mahal, which is often cited in lists of the 7 Wonders of the World. I had the great fortune to visit it a few weeks ago when I was in Delhi.

I think most of you will know the story of how the
Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan had it designed and built in memory of his third wife Mumtaz Mahal (Jewel of the Palace). She died while giving birth to the Shah's fourteenth child. He was also laid to rest next to his wife in the Taj Mahal when he died.

It is stunning to see. And is the most striking testimony of a man's love and devotion for a woman. Don't miss it if you get the chance to go. The story of Sha Jahan and the Mughal Empire is fascintating. Click on the links for more information if you are interested.

I hope you enjoy the photos. I took the first photo when I arrived in Agra. Two very different types of transport!

I have lots of photos to share from my trip to Delhi so do come back.

On a completely different note I went to see WALL.E last week. It is an amazing film if you like the genre. The best animation film I have ever seen. Have a look at Rotten Tomatoes for reviews. Pure genius. I am going back to see it again next week!

Alan
















Handsome little fellah
















Gateway to the Taj Mahal
















Front view. I was pretty excited at this point!

















Striking colours of Indian women is one of the
pleasures of any visit to India






















Time to go and see the Taj!





















Classic first view from the Gateway
















Me on the "Lady Diana bench".
















In all its glory
















Shame about the lack of water in the canals






















Minaret
















A doorway view from the river side
















The weather and the light began to improve.
















People looking out over the river














Sunny Taj!






















A minaret and view of the river. It is
called the Yamuna river and is the
largest tributary of the Ganges
















A moment of reflection
















Girls on the move





















Nearly time to leave :(
Wish I could stay for the sunset!

















Final picture of the Taj before dragging
myself away
















View to the left of the entrance as you come out

No comments: